Friday, November 11, 2011

An Appeal for Advice

Attention Anyone Who Reads my Blog!!! (Anyone? No?)

I've been planning to make a career move and a move move for a while now. Ideally, the move move part of the move will involve me moving to Philadelphia (move!). I know that Philly sounds like an arbitrary choice, but I really want to try a big city, and I happen to already be vaguely familiar with that one since Morgan lives there. I think that this vague familiarity, plus knowing at least one person, would make the transition to a new place easier.

The career move part will involve a switch from the tech writery job that I (sort of) have now to either:
a.)    a Proposal writer/donor relations type job for a college/university/non-profit/museum/etc./etc./amen, OR
b.)    a job as a science writer, with a focus on environmental issues

Also, I’ve been thinking that (ideally) these two career interests could be combined if I could find a science and/or environmental organization in need of a communications/donor relations/proposal writing lady (or gentleman (But I'd probably be better in the lady role.)).

And, as luck would have it, one quick Google search revealed that positions like this do indeed exist in Philadelphia. BUT, tragically, it seems like they’re mostly unpaid internships.

In some ways, it would make sense for me to start my career as an unpaid intern. I mean, I sort of have an appropriate educational background for these positions (a BA with a major in English and a minor in biology), but a more specific degree in something like journalism or public relations might be more desirable to employers. Also, my work experience is relevant, but it’s not extremely relevant.

My less-than-perfect background might mean that potential employers aren’t all that eager to hire and pay me, but maybe they’d be willing to hire and not pay me? This way, I’d be able to get a foot in the door (Sorry for the cliché, eleventh grade English teacher Debbie Cashion!) and learn things until I am eventually payable.

The downside to starting an unpaid internship is obvious. And a big problem, also. It would mean that I’d have to get a second job working in a store or something. I’m kind of terrified of service industry jobs because I’m really shy and socially awkward, and I just feel like I’d be really bad at them. Also, I might end up working tons of hours, considering that I’d be working probably 20 hours a week at the internship, and then I’d have to work enough hours at the store (or whatever) to pay for what could potentially be a very expensive apartment* and other potentially expensive necessities.  But, maybe it’d be worth it. Thoughts?

*This problem could be minimized if dumb Morgan would just allow me to live with him. For some stupid reason, he thinks that it would be a “bad idea” to have three cats and two people living in his 20’ by 20’** apartment. If you, like me, are morally outraged by his blatant attempt to stunt his own sister’s career advancement, PM me for his address and write him a letter of complaint. Live protests/sit ins can also be arranged.

**Approximate dimensions

1 comment:

  1. I think my apartment is too small for live sit-ins. If you could donate money I could rent a larger place to facilitate your protest though.

    ReplyDelete